CDS Rawat’s Chopper Lost Contact 7 Minutes Short Of Wellington, Black Box Found

Authorities acquainted with the issue stated on Thursday that the Indian Air Force Mi-17V5 aircraft that collapsed near Coonoor on 8th of December, Wednesday took off from the Sulur airforce base at 11.48 in the morning with fourteen persons on board, together with Chief of Defence Staff General Bipin Rawat and his spouse Madhulika Raje Singh Rawat, and was planned to touch down at the Wellington golf course helipad at 12.15 midnight, where a three-star commander was expecting to receive them.

Nevertheless, air traffic management at Sulur lost communication with the chopper at 12:08 in the afternoon, twenty minutes after it took off, defence minister Rajnath Singh revealed in a speech to Parliament on Thursday about one of India's deadliest flying catastrophes, which claimed the life of the nations highest military commander. It took the chopper 7 minutes to get to its location.

Gen Bipin Rawat was in Wellington to meet the staff and trainee officers enrolled in a one-year programme at the famous Defence Services Staff College (DSSC). The staff training of the tri-services college is notable for helping young leaders from the military, air force, and navy advance their careers.

Also Read: IAF Chopper Crash Updates: Mortal Remains Of CDS Rawat To Reach Delhi Tomorrow

Lieutenant General Manmohan Jeet Singh Kahlon, the commander of the DSSC, and his team were standing for Gen Bipin Rawat at the helicopter. Lieutenant General Kahlon was recruited in the armoured corps and has also piloted military choppers.

Officials claimed there were nervous moments at the Wellington helicopter when the Russian-made Mi-17V5 helicopter, which is a trustworthy flying vehicle, did not arrive on time or perhaps even minutes later.

At this time, it is unclear what went incorrect with the chopper in the final seconds before it crashed, even though the weather in the region where it crashed was poor. The final moments were recorded in a brief video clip filmed by visitors in the neighbourhood.

The low-flying chopper was seen breaking through the dense mist over a hill in the footage. Although the accident was not captured, the audio caught a big explosion.

The investigation into the catastrophic accident is being led by Air Marshal Manavendra Singh, a three-star IAF officer. Rajnath Singh, the Union Defence Minister, stated in Parliament that he has previously started working on the project.

On the 9th of December, Thursday evening, a C-130J airlifted the crash victims' lifeless remains from Sulur to Palam.

On Thursday, search workers discovered the black box from the chopper, which might provide crucial information about what went incorrect. The flight data recorder (FDR) and cockpit voice recorder (CVR) make up the black box, which may survive a collision.

The CVR stores crew interactions, while the FDR captures crucial information such as height, velocity, vertical acceleration, and other technical specifications like sensor readings.

The team probing the incident will concentrate on decrypting the black box data, a time-consuming task that might take days, according to officials.

According to Air Head Marshal Fali Major (retd), a former IAF chief and helicopter pilot, retrieval of information housed in the black box will be dependent on its condition.

According to the Major, assuming the black box is not destroyed, decrypting it should not take long. The IAF will have to transfer it to Russia to decode the data and put together what occurred if it was destroyed in the accident. It will provide crucial data on all technological factors.

The Indian Air Force (IAF) had no choice but to ship the damaged black box of a C-130J special ops helipad that collided nearby Gwalior in March 2014 to the United States because it lacked the technology to extract the information within the nation.