Punjab Cm Seeks Permission To Go To Lakhimpur Kheri, 6 Taken Into Custody: 10 Points
In Lakhimpur Kheri, the Uttar Pradesh administration has implemented Section 144 of the Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC) to avoid large crowds from forming in the region where eight persons were murdered in rioting on Sunday. Farmers in Lakhimpur Kheri were demonstrating against the Centre's three agricultural laws when a convoy of trucks connected to Union minister Ajay Mishra Teni's son Ashish "run over" a few of the protestors, resulting in the deaths of four of them, according to the farmers.
The remaining four, according to local authorities, were brutally beaten by the farmers.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led UP administration has come under fire from opposition leaders once the occurrence was made public. Teni and his son were arrested after a group of leaders on their way to Lakhimpur Kheri were halted.
The following are the most recent developments in this major storey:
• According to a senior police officer, the Special Task Force (STF) has been called in to investigate the assault in Lakhimpur Kheri. According to him, the STF has detained up to six people concerning the matter.
• According to news agency ANI, the Punjab administration's civil aircraft director has requested approval from Uttar Pradesh's additional chief secretary Awanish Awasthi to land the chief minister Charanjit Singh Channi's chopper in Lakhimpur Kheri. According to the Punjab official, Channi has signalled his desire to reach the location of the incident and talk with the farmers.
• Simultaneously, the Uttar Pradesh administration has appealed to the Punjab chief secretary, requesting that no one from the state travel to Lakhimpur Kheri, according to ANI.
• Officer detained Shivpal and Ramgopal Yadav, brothers of Samajwadi Party (SP) chairman Mulayam Singh Yadav, as they travelled to Lakhimpur Kheri alongside their followers nearby Lucknow. They were taken to police lines aboard a city bus.
• Akhilesh Yadav, his nephew and former Uttar Pradesh chief minister, was previously barred from visiting Lakhimpur Kheri. Yadav was apprehended outside his home, where he had conducted a sit-in protest.
• The chief minister said that this is a major issue for them, and they're looking into it. The chief minister also stated that those who are responsible will be held accountable. As polls approach, the opposition is taking advantage of the event to promote political tourism and competition "Sidharth Nath Singh, an MP from Uttar Pradesh stated.
• The administration of Uttar Pradesh has begun talks with farmers, demanding that they cease their strike. Devesh Chaturvedi, the administration's additional chief secretary, is in charge of the talks.
• Throughout the deliberations, the farmer organisations made four primary requirements. These include Ajay Mishra Teni's dismissal, his son's detention, $10 million in compensation for all of the four farmers who died in the tragedy, and an administrative position for one member of every one of the murdered farmers' households. The Samyukt Kisan Morcha (SKM), a farmer umbrella organisation, has appealed to President Ram Nath Kovind, requesting that the Union minister be fired. The Union minister, on the other hand, claims that his son was not there at the scene and that only his jeep, which was ferrying BJP workers, was there.